The Government has purchased land at Unitec’s Mt Albert campus in Auckland to develop housing.
About the site
- 29.3 hectares of land in Mt Albert, Auckland, within nine kilometres of the Auckland CBD.
- It is a mix of developed and undeveloped land, suitable for a master-planned, significant development.
- The site is zoned as residential (Mixed Housing Urban and Terraced Housing and Apartment Building), business (Mixed Use) and Special Purpose – Tertiary Education.
- The Crown has purchased the land from Unitec at market value.
- The site is subject to a right of first refusal and development protocol under the Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau Redress Act 2014.
- Unitec has already conducted comprehensive due diligence on the site’s housing potential, which suggests it is suitable for a large scale residential development approaching 3,000 houses.
- The transfer of the land from Unitec to the Crown represents an opportunity to help address the Auckland housing crisis, through delivering a significant number of high quality, affordable houses for first home buyers under the Government’s KiwiBuild programme.
See also: www.kiwibuild.govt.nz